SERTEC

Helping the car industry cut emissions

 HIGHLIGHTS

1MW commercial rooftop installation

Funded and installed at no cost to the client

Produces 30% of the business’s power

Electricity is 66% cheaper than grid prices

Rooftop Solar

Sertec makes parts for major car manufacturers and it’s an energy-hungry business, requiring huge amounts of electricity to power machinery and factories. When you’re paying 30p per KWh for your power, as Sertec has been, the bills are astronomical and the associated CO2 emissions are high.

Which makes Sertec the ideal candidate for solar at its Birmingham HQ, where it makes parts for Jaguar Land Rover, among other car makers. We installed a 1MW rooftop system which has immediately cut Sertec’s electricity costs from 30p per unit to 10.5p per unit.

Under a power purchase agreement we funded the installation, retain ownership of the equipment and maintain it. We sell the power to Sertec at an agreed unit cost, which in this case is 66% below the price it pays to its electricity supplier, for the duration of the agreement.

When the agreement ends, Sertec takes ownership of the installation, or we can remove it.

The nature of Sertec’s business means it will use just about all of the power it generates – up to 90% on the brightest days, and the remaining 10% will be sold to the grid. In one year, the system will provide 30% of the business’s power.

The potential to cut emissions and bills further has led Sertec to commission us for a second, similar sized installation at its stamping plant. Combined, the two systems will help Sertec reduce its exposure to ever-rising energy prices and make a significant contribution to cutting its carbon emissions.

Ready to start your journey to reducing energy bills & CO2?

Get in touch Help centre

  • Technology that brings you closer to zero carbon
  • Huge savings
  • Long term financial planning with locked in rates
  • Flexible terms
  • Expert advice & project management